05 March 2007

The GOOD, The BAD and the UGLY!

The GOOD: My research of Freemasonry took me in many directions: the library, friends and co-workers and the Internet. The good news is there is a lot of information available if you are a Seeker of Light! Some Blue Lodges have VERY nice sites. There are some Grand Lodges that provide a lot of wonderful information.

My personal favorite web sites were the lodges that that put their newsletter available for PDF download. Had recent pictures online. Posted the menu for the months meetings. Told me what they were doing in the community and in the lodge! They showed they were proud of their history and wanted everyone to know it!

The BAD: One thing I noticed real fast, and I’m sure others have noticed it also, is that the Anti’s sites always rank higher in the search engines! I don’t think there are actually more of them; I just think they have figured out how to play Search Engine Bingo better than the brothers have!

Like more of the whack jobs on the net the Anti’s take a little bit of reality, mix it with a equal portions of paranoia, conspiracy, Christian fundamentalism-run-amuck and a heavy dose of outright BS! The sad part is, there are very few sites that go after the Anti’s and call them on their lies and half-truths. I’m sure they have run off more than a few people!

One of my biggest concerns was the claims of Satanic worship, blasphemous practices and well you know the drill. What I was reading didn’t align with what Id heard about Masons, much less with what I knew of the few Masons I’ve known. So I dug deeper. I asked people I respected what they thought and if they knew any Masons. I’m sure its no surprise to the folks that have been involved for a long time that I heard a lot of “well I’m not a Mason, but my Dad was”… That’s a story for another blog on another day however.

There are also a lot of GL and Blue Lodge sites that have very little information. I know I’m not the only one that wants to know what to expect, what goes on at meetings, what is expected of me and on and on. Most sites only have a bare minimum of information such as where they are, when they meet and maybe a few pictures from a 2003 fish fry. This is the 2007! People use the Net to find you! Put your best foot forward! Just as you want your lodge to look nice for visitors, your web site is what people at when they look for a lodge to call home!

The UGLY: As bad as the BAD things were, the sites I found the most disturbing were sites run my Masons that were bad mouthing other Masons!!! There are plenty of blogs who’s only job in life is apparently to trash the Shriners, the Scottish Rite their GL and of course what seems to be the most popular right now Southern Masons.

One of the things I mentioned yesterday was that I was looking for camaraderie as Im sure others are also. I was under the impression that Masons did not bash other Masons either behind their backs or in public. Every group has issues and differences. I know that! How those differences are handled tells a lot about not only the people but of the group in general. My Dad always says that anyone can bitch and moan, but to be a real leader you need to bring solutions to the table along with the issues. Another one of his sayings I’ve heard more than a few dozen times: praise in public, scold in private. Now I grant that I’m new to the Craft. For all I know many of these issues have been addressed in private and in other appropriate ways. Seeing anonymous bloggers making, what appears to be childish shots at other groups though is not the right way to address issues.

That about wraps it up for today. I don’t want to be like the ones I was just talking about and not bring any ideas, so tomorrow Ill have a few suggestions… On second thought, I may skip tomorrow, my petition is being voted on tomorrow and I’m more than just a little nervous and may stay at the lodge after dinner to hear the results (if they let me that is).

4 comments:

Tom Accuosti said...

Most sites only have a bare minimum of information such as where they are, when they meet and maybe a few pictures from a 2003 fish fry.

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about the fraternity for some time now. GL of Conn just finally got their act together after almost 3 years of messing around. Most of the lodges in the state did not have their own site, so our GL bought server space and gave a website to each lodge. Unfortunately, most lodges don't update their sites anyway...

For some reason, the Antis seem to have a lot more time on their hands. Most of us who are active in the craft simply do not have the time or inclination to create and maintain such ridiculous sites; we're too busy helping at the lodge, volunteering at soup kitchens, running blood drives, etc. For the five years I spent as an officer, I worked hard at memorizing all the ritual, helped at the lodge, and have been active on a couple of Grand Lodge committees. I started blogging mainly because the GL web server was always down, and I wanted to keep our lodge info up to date. I just sort of went off in another, unanticipated direction.

As to the several Anti-Mason Masons out there, well, I try to keep some things in perspective. One is that most of them seem to be members who had high expectations of Masonry, and believe that the fraternity is not everything that they hoped it would be. I would like to believe that they are acting out of a sense of frustration and disappointment, rather than spite and malice.

However, I also try to keep in mind that every organization has members who believe that the groups should move (or should not move) in a different direction. In Conn, I believe that I have been fortunate enough to make my voice heard, and have been able to make some impact toward those ideals. Perhaps I would feel differently if I lived in some area which had little or no contact with their Grand Lodge. Too, keep in mind that most of these comments are made anonymously, so take them for what they're worth.

I hope that your petition went favorably, and that your Masonic travels are worthwhile.

Tom Accuosti
The Tao of Masonry

Seeker of Light said...

Thank you for the reply Tom! I understand what your saying about the time to run a web site (I have several) but with most lodge sites once the information is there there shouldnt be a lot of changes that need to be made. Other than keeping them current with officers, meetings etc, but the biggest part, once done doesnt change.

The Antis and others with agendas in any endevor always seem to have more time to complain and blast the doers. Many of the Anti-Mason Mason sites I agree with you seem to be bourn of frustration not malice, but there are a few that I question if they are truly Masons that run them.

Widow's Son said...

Welcome to the Masonic blogosphere, Seeker of Light.

As a blogger that has often been considered an "anti-Mason Mason," I'd like to thank Bro. Tom for his input here. Indeed, Burning Taper was born out of an intense sense of frustration. I need not go into it here; my travels in Masonry are well-documented on BT; read the 4-part "Small Town Freemasonry" series.

I was once very happy to be becoming a Mason, as you are now. I jumped in with both feet, got involved in everything that was going on in my lodge, from cleaning the floors to serving at Widow's Breakfasts to building my lodge a great website to being Director of Masonic Education. I was made an honorary member in a neighboring lodge, and was on the fast track to becoming Worshipful Master of my lodge...

...Until I started asking questions, and voicing opinions that differed with the opinions of a few men in my lodge, who though they held no office, held most of the power.

I hope your travels don't disappoint you. I wish you well.


Widow's Son
BurningTaper.com

Seeker of Light said...

WS: Actually your blog isn't one of the ones I'm referring too as a bad anti mason blog. I have read every one of your blogs from the achieves. I really enjoyed your Small Town Series. Yet at the same time I was very disappointed in the same things you were. Having lived in AL while I was in the military and joined the SCV while there (based on my ggrandfather who was 3rd Cpl in 43TN) I can understand a lot of your frustration with dealing with some of the things you mentioned. I tend to view your blog as holding peoples feet to the white hot fire of what should be! Which is why I've had a link to yours since the first day!