07 May 2007

...also seeking

Last night or today some person hacked my website and took it down. While I had back ups and my host did backups weekly, they also want to charge me to restore it. To make matters worse when I question if they had logs on when it was done, IPs from where it was done etc they told me:

quote "We do not do research into why a client's site was hacked. The bottom line was you were running a vulnerable version of Xoops and were not keeping it upgraded the way it should be. Since you are running an insecure version of Xoops and do not plan on upgrading it immediately I will go ahead and close your account. We really don't want anyone who doesn't care about their web site as a client.

Kind regards,
Brian Carpenter
--------------------------------------
EMWD - Executive Officer
"unquote

The 'outdated software was the software they provided and if there had been an update I didnt know baout it. Before I could even reply they had deleted my site, changed the DNS so I cant rehost it using the URL I had and closed all my email accounts. Since then they wont reply so, Im looking for a new host, Ill figure out the URL later.

Needless to say EMWD is NOT a host I would recommend under any condition!!! Im not real sure what ticked me off more! Some asshat hacking my site, or the attitude of my former host. Thank goodness I had mentoring tonight, I was in dire need of learning to subdue my passions and not kick someone in the ass!!!

Any suggestions for a host that has a good montly price, decent amount of storage and bandwidth would be appreciated! Just to be real clear EMWD is NOT a HOST I WOULD RECOMEND TO ANY BROTHER or LODGE!!!!


The lessons come from the journey... So Mote It Be!